Think Mobile First!
Since the end of 2017, over half of internet searches are made on mobile (Google, 2017). This means that customers are now more likely to land on your mobile site than its PC version.
Your mobile site is therefore a top priority: align yourself with Google Mobile First Index requirements to gain visibility and grow your e-Commerce.
What is the Google Mobile First Index?
Until now, Google has always considered the desktop (computer) version as standard for site ranking in search results, but from March 2018 onwards, it is the mobile site which starts to serve as the reference. This is not to say we can now forget the desktop version, but it is important to understand that the Google page quality score is now based primarily on mobile, with desktop as secondary.
Given the sharp increase in the number of searches and traffic from smartphones, this change has become necessary, for more relevance in mobile search responses.
Optimise the customer mobile experience to increase sales
Mobile vs Desktop: adapt the structure of your mobile site to the browsing habits of mobile users
Navigation on a mobile site is not the same as on a site's desktop version.
The desktop site is consulted on computer, generally from home or the workplace, and users benefit from more comfortable navigation: a wider screen, better legibility, buttons more easily clickable. Desktop site customers are readier to read text to gain information.
The mobile site is consulted mainly at home but also when out and about (in a café, on public transport, in the street), and mobile searches tend to be more specific: cuxtomers expect to find information quickly.
The two versions are complementary.
To help you optimise the mobile user experience and enable your visitors to find what they are looking for quickly, Oxatis has improved the solution.
- Make it simpler to access important information. The customer must be able to find the information or the desired product quickly and easily, without the need for extra clicks. You now have the opportunity to simplify the depth of your product categories by deleting subcategories in your mobile menu.
- Create a fully personalised mobile site and offer relevant content to your customers. You now have the opportunity to create and add customised pages to your mobile site. You can completely rethink the structure of your site to offer content more suited to mobile browsing.
Progressive Web Apps: Stand out from the competition with cutting-edge technology
Progressive web apps, developed by Google, are a brand-new type of application – with novel uses – that have been developed to enrich the user experience.
They combine the best of the web and applications. They are websites that have the appearance and behaviour of applications. More concretely, you have access to an app icon installed on your mobile desktop and when you click on it, it is the mobile site that opens. It is displayed in full screen, loads instantly, works offline, and is indexed by search engines.
The benefits of PWA for you:
- You benefit from highly-evolved technology.
- It will not cost you anything (there is zero development cost for you).
- You do not need to install or publish anything on app stores.
- The natural SEO of your site is made easy. Accessible via a browser, each page is indexed in the search engines.
Benefits for your customers:
- They can access your site offline and enjoy instant loading, without any constraints: no installation is required via a store (Apple Store, Play Store) and no updates are needed!
- The PWAs do not take up any space in the mobile's memory.
- PWAs are secure (HTTPS protocol required)
This technology - already embraced by the biggest web players (eBay, Aliexpress, Trivago, Twitter) will be available soon for all Oxatis e-merchants, no exception! Thanks to new features offered by Progressive Web Apps (updates, targeting adapted to consumer expectations), you will be able to encourage loyalty from your customers and thus increase your conversion rate and online turnover. Alibaba.com, the e-Commerce leader in China, has recorded a 76% increase in conversions and interaction rates of 4 times higher after moving from its mobile ap to a Progressive Web App.
Mobile-to-store: attract your customers to your store via their smartphone
The mobile platform is also widely used for business purposes beyond simple transactions. The main objective of mobile-to-store is to stay with the customer throughout the purchasing journey, from smartphone to store.
Beyond having a quality mobile site, there are other simple tips to attract your customers to your stores, such as:
- Activate location. The Store Locator feature allows your customers to geolocate their nearest physical store and guides them directly to it.
- Allow customers to pick up their order at the point of sale of their choice. Take advantage of this opportunity to increase the number of in-store visits, and turn this traffic into additional sales!
- Send promotional codes via SMS. Encourage your customers to come to the store by sending them targeted offers. They will not be able to resist your deals!
Take every opportunity to enhance your mobile version and multiply your sales. Your e-Commerce expert will call you to discuss how your mobile experinece can be optimised.